About Me

Studying a BA in illustration at Camberwell School of Art.

Tuesday 31 May 2011


















I am looking at deep sea creatures, and their mysterious presence being similar to that of the whale in the book. They are living down in the darkest parts of the sea but only few have the opportunity to see them first hand. I have started taking certain parts of some of the fish and creating new species. Also gives me the excuse to watch all of David Attenborough's planet earth and deep sea series !




I made this mock picture book, with the idea of depicting the whale in any way you want to. Each body part fits into the one behind or infront, so you can create your own monster. Also with this I wanted to maybe play with the fact that Moby Dick is a complex read, with the language used and also within the structure of the book. So I think maybe this layout could appeal to kids but also be informative as each of the designs are taken from histories depiction of the whale. My worry with this though is that it doesnt have the right impact, in that the whale has the gargantuan presence and the books aesthetics do not match this. I think if I continue this idea I will have to mess about with the weight of the pages and the size of the book perhaps.




I decided to concentrate on the whale and how it is present throughout the book yet is only glimpsed at, with no real truth to what it really looked like. So i decided to research into representation of whales throughout history, and throughout different eras. They have this mythological, monsterous quality in most of the depictions. Huge in scale but always shown with talons and mouth fulls of teeth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers