About Me

Studying a BA in illustration at Camberwell School of Art.

Thursday 26 May 2011

Fiction



I think this is one of the most successful, because although it is not exact to the story, as the boat would have not looked like this nor the men, but I think it captures the solitude and expanse of the ocean as the sailors set off. 










These drawings are my idea of what the whale might of been like. Taken from the fish market on the west coast of France using carbon paper.



Beached whale




Over the summer we were set with the task to read a fictional book of our choice, and gather a collection of visual reference, based around characters, places and objects. I drew a lot of these drawings from observation whilst I was on holiday in France and others from the National Maritime Museum. I found it quite difficult to find visual interpretations of what I had read in the book, as I had a pre-conceived idea in my head. So I found I had to re-interpret my ideas and either search for a real representation, such as looking at whale bones and whaling instruments, or look more for a feeling or alternative representation that was more abstract. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers